About the 2001 Conference
Putting It On Ice: Hockey in Historical and Contemporary Perspective, was hosted by Saint Mary's University, Halifax, and held at the Westin Nova Scotia Hotel on October 3 - 7, 2001. This inaugural conference brought together academics, those associated with the game as players or officials, and community level organizers to provide a comprehensive look at the development of the game and its social and cultural influence.
Who Were Our Guest and Keynote Speakers?Keynote Speaker
Convocation Address: Dr. Jean Beliveau "le Gross Bill" considered one of the best hockey players of all time during his 20 year playing career with the Montreal Canadiens, winner of 10 Stanley Cups and 10 times selected to the All Star team. Dr. Beliveau received an honorary degree from Saint Mary's University during the conference.Guest Speakers
- Stacey Wilson
- John Paris, Jr
- Austin Willis - accomplished actor of stage and screen and former participant in hockey's famed "Hot Stove League"
- David Battistella - Director on the new NFB film SHINNY
Who Organized the Conference?
The following players comprised the team who put together this showcase of fine hockey writing and discussion.
- Colin Howell, Conference Chair (Coach)
- Jean Beliveau, Honorary Captain
- Stacey Wilson, Honorary Co-Captain
- John Paris, Jr, Honorary Co-Captain
- Sandi Galloway
- Bob Warner
- Geoff Howell
- Mike Vance
- Stephen Coutts
- Allan Turowetz
- Chris Fletcher
- Peter Twohig
- Barry Gallant
Copyright © De Armond Management Ltd.
All rights reserved.